Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Respect Your Elders

I remember when I was young being in the presence of the elderly was a very serious thing. There was no messing around and no one had to tell you to be respectful, there was a simple knowing just to do it.

I think of all the things that people go through and survive and the wisdom gained and I wonder why would we devalue the elderly?

I could only hope that as I age people would take the time to listen to my stories, seek my advice, and look after my well being.

This outer body breaks down, but the heart and often the mind continue on. How sad we would be if we chose to dishonor the people that forged the way before us. 

At what cost to ourselves will it be to loose the insight and even the love of one who has so much yet to give.
I think the elderly are a test to us from God, to show us our values, and to help us with compassion, and to teach us patience.

God put it on our hearts to care for, watch over, and highly respect our elders. What goes around comes around, and what a sad way to end a life than to be ignored, or treated badly as though no one cares. 

Love on purpose today, Hold a hand, give a hug, share a smile, or just offer your ear to listen. You may just learn something that could change your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment